There were lots of bridges and waterfalls up to the lake, so it was very scenic! About half-way was a larger waterfall with a nice area to sit and relax, so we took a quick break and had a snack. This is my tired, but still smiling face.
The trail was finally flattening out and we were in the homestretch, I am cruising along and Jason is right in front of me... we were both ready for some PB&J. We turn a corner and there is a big boulder in front of us to the left of the trail and the path curves around the boulder, I am in the zone just walking along. Jason stops, and I look up and see a BIG, fuzzy black head and ears poking up from behind the boulder, only about 20ft. in front of us! I was just about to high-tail it running, and then Jason grabs my walking stick and tells me to walk back slowly (instead of SPRINTING). He was much more calm then I was, I went into panic mode and probably would have frightened the bear making a ruckus running the other direction. Anyway, unfortunately we did not make it to the lake, there was a minor "road block." But, it was really cool to see a BEAR!
We also made some trips into town just to explore the area. Steamboat has a really great botanical garden, and while we were there a string trio was playing music. It was really nice and relaxing to just walk around and admire the beautiful flowers, listening to beautiful music.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Steamboat Camping Continued
More hiking followed the rest of the week while we were in Steamboat, there were plenty of trails to choose from, and we wanted to do a longer hike mid-week. We decided on the hike to Long Lake, about 5 miles UP! We packed up a lunch and swimming suits to go for a CHILLY dip at the top. Here we are getting started...

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment